Re: [Videolib] closed captioning on DVDs

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:06:51 -0800

I very recently was having the very same problem.
I went to a local closed caption service, called Line 21 for answers,
and here is the
content of their response:

here's the solution that I was emailed about by someone wanting to
remaster his back catalogue:

> As it turns out I found a great, inexpensive solution. I just purchased
the OSPREY 210 encode board, for video streaming. This board also has the
ability to "extract" the CC line 21 data and save it to a TEXT file in
real time. I have just run several video copies through it and confirmed
that
it works beautifully.

With the text files in hand, I can now "cut and paste" it into my "DVD
Subtitler" program.

here's a CPC solution:

You can use CPC-600/700 software ($2,995/$4.995) >and
Mag HubCap hardware ($495)

Please check the side bar of the page:
>http://www.cpcweb.com/Captioning/cap_how_software_works.htm

and here's two more links:

http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Text_capture

http://www.textgrabber.com/

best,

Kelly A.D. Maxwell, Director
Line 21 Media Services Ltd.
122-1058 Mainland Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2T4

phone 604-662-4600 fax 604-662-4606

visit us on the web at www.line21cc.com <http://www.line21cc.com>

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media

Acquisitions Centre_

100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase, May 2-3, 2006

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd

http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac