Re: [Videolib] Human Trafficking

Diane Rhodes (diane.rhodes@films.com)
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:47:06 -0500

--B_3225084431_27422359

>From Films for the Humanities & Sciences (www.films.com):

Sudan: On the Slave Trail: Exposes the predicament of Dinka children:
captured in the south, sold to wealthy Arabic Sudanese in the north, and,
for a lucky few, bought back by outside relief organizations=8Bonly to run th=
risk of being captured and sold again. Tacitly sanctioned by the government
and abetted, in a sense, by the very organizations opposed to its practice,
how will this predatory cycle be broken, once and for all? (24 minutes,
color) =A9 1999. Order #10066

A Tale of Modern Slavery: This ABC News program shows how caste systems and
other archaic traditions have perpetuated slavery in some poor countries,
and points to the complacency of wealthier nations regarding this ongoing
tragedy. Highlighting the work of Nigerian anti-slavery activists, the vide=
also features commentary from Amnesty International USA Executive Director
William Schultz, who emphasizes the need for more action from the Western
world. (20 minutes) =A9 2005. Order # 35365 PREVIEW CLIP ONLINE

Girl for Sale: Bartering for Bodies in India: Virtually ignored by the
police, a nefarious traffic in human beings goes on every day in India. In
this program, ABC News correspondent Cynthia McFadden reports on the sale o=
girls=8Bsome as young as 11 years of age=8Binto sexual slavery and how one man=B9=
personal campaign has resulted in the rescue of nearly 200 victims. Hidden
cameras record the deplorable conditions of life into which these children
are sold, often out of desperation by their own families. (15 minutes,
color) =A9 2001. Order # 29112

--Diane

--=20
Diane Rhodes, Production Editor
Films for the Humanities & Sciences
www.films.com, 800-257-5126, diane.rhodes@films.com

> Hello, everybody --
>=20
> A friend/colleague who is an attorney and educator working on human
> trafficking issue asks
>=20
> "have you seen/heard of any short (15-20 mins or so) films on the issue o=
> human trafficking
> that we might use to introduce the subject?"
>=20
> Does anybody have any suggestions I can pass along?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Ben
>=20
>=20
> Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
> 4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
> (617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
> Email: Ben@Fanlight.com
>=20

--B_3225084431_27422359

Re: [Videolib] Human Trafficking Fr= om Films for the Humanities & Sciences (www.films.com):

Sudan: On the Slave Trail:
Exposes the predicament of Dinka children: c= aptured in the south, sold to wealthy Arabic Sudanese in the north, and, for= a lucky few, bought back by outside relief organizations—only to run = the risk of being captured and sold again. Tacitly sanctioned by the governm= ent and abetted, in a sense, by the very organizations opposed to its practi= ce, how will this predatory cycle be broken, once and for all? (24 minutes, = color) © 1999. Order #10066

A Tale of Modern Slavery: This ABC News program shows how caste syst= ems and other archaic traditions have perpetuated slavery in some poor count= ries, and points to the complacency of wealthier nations regarding this ongo= ing tragedy. Highlighting the work of Nigerian anti-slavery activists, the v= ideo also features commentary from Amnesty International USA Executive Direc= tor William Schultz, who emphasizes the need for more action from the Wester= n world. (20 minutes) © 2005. Order # 35365 PREVIEW CLIP ONLINE

Girl for Sale: Bartering for Bodies in India: Virtually ignored by t= he police, a nefarious traffic in human beings goes on every day in India. I= n this program, ABC News correspondent Cynthia McFadden reports on the sale = of girls—some as young as 11 years of age—into sexual slavery an= d how one man’s personal campaign has resulted in the rescue of nearly= 200 victims. Hidden cameras record the deplorable conditions of life into w= hich these children are sold, often out of desperation by their own families= . (15 minutes, color) © 2001. Order # 29112

--Diane