RE: [Videolib] Sports copyright question

Mark Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:05:02 -0500

Is there a disclaimer or a copyright warning at the beginning of the
tape/film/file? That's usually a good first sign of a
copyright...assuming it's not already copied, but that's another
discussion. T'would be a whole 'nuther story if someone wanted to take
that footage and sell it. Got any old Michael Jordan college-days
footage??

*

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gail Fedak
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:54 PM
To: videolib
Subject: [Videolib] Sports copyright question

This question is probably a stretch for this forum, but I thought
someone here might be able to provide insight. Please respond off-list
if you prefer. From time to time, some of our coaches have asked me to
duplicate "team films" that are circulated among coaches in order to
prepare for an upcoming game. As best I can determine from questioning
the coaches about the source of these films, they are recorded by
somebody or multiple somebodies in attendance at an institution's games
(football, basketball,
etc.) without commentary, advertising, background music, etc. It seems
that these films are then bicycled around from one school to another to
be duplicated, viewed, analyzed. The coaches have said, "Oh, it's done
all the time. Our equipment is down at the moment, or we'd do it
ourselves." The latest request was for one of these films to be
duplicated from VHS to DVD for the aforementioned purposes. I'd like to
be helpful, but but have so far declined because I've not been able to
placate my doubts about how copyright law/guidelines sift out on this.
Have any of you had this type of request? How did you respond and why?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Gail

Gail B. Fedak, Manager
Instructional Media Resources