RE: [Videolib] Does loose filing of DVDs cause scratches?

Logan, Michael (MLogan@co.humboldt.ca.us)
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:39:50 -0800

We do much the same thing at our public library, the difference being we
keep the discs in soft CD/DVD Fellowes sleeves behind the Circ desk. The
sleeves help minimize scratching, and our circ staff handle the discs by
the edges and center hole. We have not found white cotton gloves to be
necessary. ;) Since we began circulating our DVDs this way, we have had
zero losses due to theft. And, as we employ this method system-wide, we
do not apply security tags to any of the items.

When we began investigating our security options before we began
circulating DVDs, we looked into Kwik Cases (among others). We found a
determined thief with a screwdriver could remove a DVD in about 30
seconds. That, combined with the cost of processing per disc (approx.
$6.00 using Kwik Cases & security tags vs. $0.67 behind the desk), made
our current procedure the only viable option for us. Of course, your
mileage may vary...

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services
Humboldt County Library