RE: [Videolib] Does loose filing of DVDs cause scratches?

John Fossett (jfossett@krl.org)
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 07:58:43 -0800

Jerry,
We lost nearly 650 DVDs in 6 months, approximately 10% of the
entertainment DVD collection. In spite of my pleas for a theft deterrent
we continued without a security system in place. It took an article in
the local paper to facilitate change. Now we're placing the discs behind
the desk and displaying empty cases. It takes more staff time (we're
tracking it at several branches) but our loss rates are very close to
zero.
I believe there's a more efficient, cost-effective way to protect the
collection than the one we use, but at this time don't know what that
is. And the folks on the list don't appear to agree on one method. Just
recently I've heard from library systems where they have found empty
cases that have been pried open.
Has your system tracked the cost benefit of the Kwik Kase method? If so,
would you be willing to share the info?
Thanks,
John

John F. Fossett