RE: [Videolib] Does loose filing of DVDs cause scratches?

Mercure, Jeanette (JMercure@newington.lib.ct.us)
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:18:02 -0500

We do much the same thing, file our DVDs in a drawer and the patron
brings the empty case to the circulation desk, except our DVDs are in
either a plastic sleeve with a hole in the middle or a thin plastic
clamshell case. I feel that it not only protects against us scratching
the DVD but also prevents some damage that the patron and their family
may cause at home. Of course, we don't always get the sleeve back so we
do call the patron who had the DVD out and/or change a replacement fee
for the sleeve. We have noticed less hub damage but I really do not
know what the patrons do to these things when they have them at home!
Most come back with all kinds of stuff stuck on them - not to mention
scratches.

Jeanette Mercure
Head of Collection Management
Lucy Robbins Welles Library
95 Cedar Street
Newington, CT 06111
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Melissa
Riley
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 11:03 PM
To: VIDEOLIB@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Does loose filing of DVDs cause scratches?

Some of our branches file naked DVDs by acquisition number in slots in a
drawer at the circ desk, each separated by a numbered piece of manila
file folder paper, separated by tabbed sections. These take up almost no
space--especially since most of the discs are checked out at all times.
When the patron brings up the empty box they have found by browsing, we
insert the disc into the box and check it out.

This is a great labor and space saver, and is far simpler, more
ergonomic, and faster than other systems which prevent theft.
As they get checked out they are put into the DVD case by the staff.
Does anyone have evidence that this system would cause appreciably more
scratches than other filing systems? Or any comments?
Were this system universally applied in a library system, it might not
be necessary to have security strips on the discs.
Are there studies on what causes and what prevents scratches? Presumably
anything the patrons do is more likely to scratch them than merely
filing them naked in a drawer!

I suspect you have discussed this at length before and may need to
direct my attention to part of the archives. I found some related info
in March 2003, but there may be new ideas and information as well.

Thanks,

Melissa Riley
San Francisco Public Library
Mriley@sfpl.org