Re: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database

Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:15:45 -0800

--=====================_80649734==.ALT

I sorta responded too quickly

UCB's catalog (Pathfinder) allows format-specific and
library-specific searching: (http://sunsite5.berkeley.edu:8000/) (in
other words, you can limit to film/video searching and/or search the
Media Center collection only)

In MRC, we have additionally created a stand-alone MicroSoft Access
db for our feature films. Of course, we also have a big,
subject-arranged flat web site...

gary

At 05:20 PM 2/28/2006, you wrote:
>Monique
>
>I'm unclear from your message whether you are proposing a
>stand-alone database alternative to the library catalog, or the
>capability within the catalog to limit a search to a particular media type.
>
>Some of the responses I saw to your post appear to work within an
>existing library catalog, while Gary's appears to be
>stand-alone. (Correct me if I'm wrong Gary)
>
>At ASU, the Innovative Interfaces integrated system provides the
>ability to limit a search by media type. To do this, the catalog
>has to index by certain MARC fields.
>
>IUCAT appears to offer a similar interface, using the GMD (general
>media designator) in the catalog record.
>
>This is not a great page, but we have built a "How do I" section in
>our library web that includes a section on Finding Videos. It
>includes a set of pre-searched links (feature films, foreign
>language cinema, etc.)
>
><http://library.west.asu.edu/collections/media/fvideo.html>http://library.west.asu.edu/collections/media/fvideo.html
>

>--
>deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
>Arizona State University at the West Campus
>PO Box 37100
>Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
>Phone: 602.543.8522
>Email: deg.farrelly@asu.edu
>

>From: "Threatt, Monique L" <mthreatt@indiana.edu>
>Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:00:52 -0500
>To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>Conversation: Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database
>Subject: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database
>
>Hello,
>
>I'm sure this question has come up before.
>
>I am trying to convince my institution to create an internal "Find
>Media" searchable database that will interact with our current
>library on-line cataloging system -- not very different from how to
>"Find a Book" or "Find an Article."
>
>I think several years ago, some of you shared your internal search
>database with the list.
>Would you mind contacting me off-line so I can see some examples?
>
>Here are two that I'm familiar with:
>
>University of Maryland Digital
>Films:
><http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html>http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html
><http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html>
>
>Trexler Library Home
>Page:
><http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/>http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/
><http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/> > Finding Media > Videos >
><http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html>http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html
><http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html>
>
>Others?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Best,
>
>*************************
>Monique Threatt
>Librarian for Media, and Communication & Culture
> [...]

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord

Subject: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database

Hello,

I'm sure this question has come up before.

I am trying to convince my institution to create an internal "Find Media" searchable database that will interact with our current library on-line cataloging system -- not very different from how to "Find a Book" or "Find an Article."

I think several years ago, some of you shared your internal search database with the list.
Would you mind contacting me off-line so I can see some examples?

Here are two that I'm familiar with:

University of Maryland Digital Films:  http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html < http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html >

Trexler Library Home Page:    http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/ < http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/ > > Finding Media > Videos > http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html < http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html >

Others?

Thanks in advance.

Best,