Re: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database

deg farrelly (deg.farrelly@asu.edu)
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:20:38 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_VFiUdNvgs9SRjha32wA0Lg)

Monique

I=B9m unclear from your message whether you are proposing a stand-alone
database alternative to the library catalog, or the capability within the
catalog to limit a search to a particular media type.

Some of the responses I saw to your post appear to work within an existing
library catalog, while Gary=B9s appears to be stand-alone. (Correct me if I=B9=
wrong Gary)

At ASU, the Innovative Interfaces integrated system provides the ability to
limit a search by media type. To do this, the catalog has to index by
certain MARC fields.

IUCAT appears to offer a similar interface, using the GMD (general media
designator) in the catalog record.

This is not a great page, but we have built a =B3How do I=B2 section in our
library web that includes a section on Finding Videos. It includes a set o=
pre-searched links (feature films, foreign language cinema, etc.)

http://library.west.asu.edu/collections/media/fvideo.html

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West Campus

From: "Threatt, Monique L" <mthreatt@indiana.edu> Reply-To: "videolib@library.berkeley.edu" <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:00:52 -0500 To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Conversation: Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database Subject: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable database

Hello,=20

I'm sure this question has come up before.

I am trying to convince my institution to create an internal "Find Media" searchable database that will interact with our current library on-line cataloging system -- not very different from how to "Find a Book" or "Find an Article."

I think several years ago, some of you shared your internal search database with the list. =20 Would you mind contacting me off-line so I can see some examples?

Here are two that I'm familiar with:

University of Maryland Digital Films: http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html <http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections.html>

Trexler Library Home Page: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/ <http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/> > Finding Media > Videos > http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html <http://www.muhlenberg.edu/library/media/videos.html>

Others?=20

Thanks in advance.=20

Best,=20

************************* Monique Threatt=20 Librarian for Media, and Communication & Culture Herman B Wells Library, W121 Indiana University=20 Bloomington, IN 47405 T: (812) 855-9857 F: (812) 855-1649=20 E: mthreatt@indiana.edu

--Boundary_(ID_VFiUdNvgs9SRjha32wA0Lg) Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Re: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable datab= ase Moniq= ue

I’m unclear from your message whether you are proposing a stand-alone= database alternative to the library catalog, or the capability within the c= atalog to limit a search to a particular media type.

Some of the responses I saw to your post appear to work within an existing = library catalog, while Gary’s appears to be stand-alone.  (Correc= t me if I’m wrong Gary)

At ASU, the Innovative Interfaces integrated system provides the ability to= limit a search by media type.  To do this, the catalog has to index by= certain MARC fields.

IUCAT appears to offer a similar interface, using the GMD (general media de= signator) in the catalog record.

This is not a great page, but we have built a “How do I” sectio= n in our library web that includes a section on Finding Videos.  It inc= ludes a set of pre-searched links (feature films, foreign language cinema, e= tc.)

http://= library.west.asu.edu/collections/media/fvideo.html

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West Campus
PO Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona  85069-7100
Phone:  602.543.8522
Email:  deg.farrelly@asu.edu

Conversation: Creating a "Finding Media" searchable databa= se
Subject: [Videolib] Creating a "Finding Media" searchable = database

Hello,

[...]

Thanks in advance.

Monique Threatt
Librarian for Media, and Communication & Cult= ure
Herman B Wells Library, W121
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405
T:   (812) 855-9857