(no subject)

videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:18:17 -0800 (PST)

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;

b=PtpaAWFlQAg0vEAnQWQNMuPOvYL/JDkfS1mMBYGP9umm/tKqPes/esD117s3rvH4eUlB14DL0KEHxvsa22txkD/C3pmB3u07zEcR/0N7pJz5e85Up6y8fkubstEna49El57Cwimbj93++xHwlazHWZ4nwiqyUM9oA9Hh+2T4bvw=
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:18:12 -0600
From: "susan p" <slpayne@gmail.com>
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Riddle me this
Sender: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu

------=_Part_14541_25947815.1140747492132

On our campus it did turn into a copyright issue since faculty were copying
tapes and showing them repeatedly over extended periods of time while
claiming fair use.

Susan

On 2/23/06, susan p <slpayne@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> use/ and plagiarism.
>
> What else are others doing?
>
> Best,
>
> Susan Payne
> Library Director
> College of Saint Mary
> Omaha, NE
>

> On 2/23/06, Ciara Healy <cmhealy@waketech.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I recently posted tot his list regarding my purchase of a
> > for-home-viewing PBS video for my college library. I got excellent and
> > quick responses alon the lines of :"for educational use - to show in
> > class as part of the curriculum - it is fine" and this has opened up
> > another set of questions for me.
> >
> > We lend media to professors, sometimes for a whole semester. This
> > seems to frustrate the "only to show in class" part of the educational
> > use. I ask myself.. should we be lending out videos for classrom use
> > ONLY - like for two hours at a time or one or two class periods at a
> > time - for months at a time?
> >
> > I suspect that professors check out the videos for months at a time
> > because they can. Mainly so that they can save themselves a trip to the
> > library to pick up or return items with in the confines of the regular
> > library loan period of three weeks. For that matter, why three weeks? I=
> > they want to show a video during class, even two class periods, why
> > check it out to them for more than the class periods or the two days
> > they want to show it? I can book their videos for a custom amount of
> > time, but sometimes they request 3 or 4 months. I know they are not
> > using it every class period for that amount of time. I also am pretty
> > sure they are not holding profit making public performances of it
> > either...but still.
> >
> > The larger philosophical point here is about policing copyright. I have
> > not been deputized by the feds to police copyright beyond my own active
> > law breaking; like not copying protected material so that staff may kee=
> >
> > one in their office for convenience sake. Should I presume that the
> > burden is on the professor to use the video appropriately only in class=
?
> > Yes. But how does that fit with super long check out periods? Shouldn't
> > videos/DVDs thereby have really, really short checkout periods? To
> > encourage..umm.. lawfulness?
> >
> > OK - maybe I want an excuse to block grabby professors who want to
> > basically own the videos after the library buys them.
> >
> > I am working on revising my media policy and probably have been
> > thinking about lending policies waaay too much lately.
> >
> > Ciara Healy
> > Media Services Librarian
> >
> > Bruce I. Howell Library
> > Wake Technical Community College
> > 9101 Fayetteville Road
> > Raleigh, NC 27603
> >
> > (919) 773-4724
> > cmhealy@waketech.edu

------=_Part_14541_25947815.1140747492132

pying tapes and showing them repeatedly over extended periods of time while=
claiming fair use. </div>
susan p</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:slpayne@gmail.com">slpayne@gmail.com</a>&=
gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
s addressed in them. I recently did this at my college and suggested updati=
ng the faculty handbook fair use policy. We also talked about who is respon=
sible for making sure people abide from fair use.=20
classroom setting falls on the faculty member. That said, however, we are =
providing them with the tools. We purchased a couple of copyright/fair use =
manuals. We are having a copyright session next year about copyright/fair u=
se/ and plagiarism.=20
Ciara Healy</b> &lt;<a onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,th=
is)" href=3D"mailto:cmhealy@waketech.edu" target=3D"_blank">cmhealy@waketec=
h.edu
</a>&gt; wrote:</span>=20
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">I recently posted tot his list r=
egarding my purchase of a<br>for-home-viewing PBS video for my college libr=
ary. I got excellent and=20
in<br>class as part of the curriculum - it is fine&quot; and this has opene=
, sometimes for a whole semester.&nbsp;&nbsp;This=20
ucational<br>use. I ask myself.. should we be lending out videos for classr=
om use<br>ONLY - like for two hours at a time or one or two class periods a=
t a=20
the videos for months at a time<br>because they can. Mainly so that they c=
an save themselves a trip to the<br>library to pick up or return items with=
in the confines of the regular=20
f<br>they want to show a video during class, even two class periods, why<br=
>check it out to them for more than the class periods or the two days<br>
they want to show it? I can book their videos for a custom amount of<br>tim=
e, but sometimes they request 3 or 4 months. I know they are not<br>using i=
t every class period for that amount of time. I also am pretty<br>sure they=
are not holding profit making public performances of it=20
policing copyright. I have<br>not been deputized by the feds to police cop=
yright beyond my own active<br>law breaking; like not copying protected mat=
erial so that staff may keep=20
burden is on the professor to use the video appropriately only in class?<br=
>Yes. But how does that fit with super long check out periods? Shouldn't=20
ncourage..umm.. lawfulness?<br><br>OK - maybe I want an excuse to block gra=
bby professors who want to<br>basically own the videos after the library bu=
ys them.=20
thinking about lending policies waaay too much lately.<br><br>Ciara Healy<b=
Community College=20
onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href=3D"mailto:cm=