Re: [Videolib] Riddle me this

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:56:15 -0600

Ciara,
Our circulation policies do not permit faculty to check out video materials
for 3-4 months. Not that some of them don't keep them that long. Our
circulation policies can be found at
http://www.mtsu.edu/~imr/checkoutmaterials.html . Most faculty understand
that returning the materials within a reasonable amount of time means that
the materials stand a lower chance of being lost, albeit in someone's
office/car, or truly lost. With a little one-on-one education, most also
realize that this means the materials are available to them in the long run,
especially given their often short life span on the open market. Do you hold
videos on reserve for faculty to send their students to view in the library?
If so, this service would be an excellent reason for a hasty return policy.
We put a sticker on each of our video items that warns about duplicating
without permission. We also have one we apply to materials for which we do
not have PPR. It reads For Face To Face Teaching Only / No Public
Performance License.
We do not police what faculty do with the videos once they walk out our
door. That said, if a patron asks whether they can use a particular video in
a non-classroom venue, or tells us they are going to in the guise of
university-to-community service, we take the opportunity to educate them. At
that point I can and have declined to check out something, knowing up front
what the intended use is. That's the point at which I also volunteer to
assist them in their pursuit of PPR for a given title. I will locate PPR
sources, copyright holders, etc., but won't negotiate terms of a contract.
Hope this helps.
Gail

Gail B. Fedak, Manager
Instructional Media Resources