Re: [Videolib] Riddle me this

Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:49:20 -0800

--=====================_82447734==.ALT

Hi

Media librarians need to show a good faith attempt to adhere to the
terms of current law.

Every library that buys and circulates videos (or books for that
matter) needs a written policy statement re legal uses (and misuses)
of materials in the collection. The policy needs to be clearly and
prominently made know to users. Materials should not be circulated
for uses which are know a priori (I've been hanging with lawyers too
long) to be illegal ("...I'd like to check this home video out to
show in the campus film club..." "...I'd like to check this out and
copy half of it to show in my powerpoint presentation..." yadda yadda)

Beyond that, the user is on her/his own.

As for checking stuff out to faculty for prolonged periods...that's
not a copyright issue, it's a service issue. Unless you have
multiple copies of materials in your collection, it seems to me that
a title taken out for weeks is a title that no one else can watch for weeks.

gary

At 11:03 AM 2/23/2006, you wrote:
>I recently posted tot his list regarding my purchase of a
>for-home-viewing PBS video for my college library. I got excellent and
>quick responses alon the lines of :"for educational use - to show in
>class as part of the curriculum - it is fine" and this has opened up
>another set of questions for me.
>
>We lend media to professors, sometimes for a whole semester. This
>seems to frustrate the "only to show in class" part of the educational
>use. I ask myself.. should we be lending out videos for classrom use
>ONLY - like for two hours at a time or one or two class periods at a
>time - for months at a time?
>
>I suspect that professors check out the videos for months at a time
>because they can. Mainly so that they can save themselves a trip to the
>library to pick up or return items with in the confines of the regular
>library loan period of three weeks. For that matter, why three weeks? If
>they want to show a video during class, even two class periods, why
>check it out to them for more than the class periods or the two days
>they want to show it? I can book their videos for a custom amount of
>time, but sometimes they request 3 or 4 months. I know they are not
>using it every class period for that amount of time. I also am pretty
>sure they are not holding profit making public performances of it
>either...but still.
>
>The larger philosophical point here is about policing copyright. I have
>not been deputized by the feds to police copyright beyond my own active
>law breaking; like not copying protected material so that staff may keep
>one in their office for convenience sake. Should I presume that the
>burden is on the professor to use the video appropriately only in class?
>Yes. But how does that fit with super long check out periods? Shouldn't
>videos/DVDs thereby have really, really short checkout periods? To
>encourage..umm.. lawfulness?
>
>OK - maybe I want an excuse to block grabby professors who want to
>basically own the videos after the library buys them.
>
>I am working on revising my media policy and probably have been
>thinking about lending policies waaay too much lately.
>
>Ciara Healy
>Media Services Librarian
>
>Bruce I. Howell Library
>Wake Technical Community College