(no subject)

videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:26:58 -0800 (PST)

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;

b=ka4C9XztkU8E6jkFCybax+X1q8ZBXAucfwOSdrcEQRW3jjQWBeuS1Jrtojgm/7s41YyRXWABQfqEr9FhnvZ1dwwnyqfR31kYwKFx+YXy2EoDA86HM9AMOo/H/bK33keAIjVXZM3TAcsVwr8TBLSGeh28ONSy+22ddz7oQCOmvWg=
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:26:54 -0600
From: "susan p" <slpayne@gmail.com>
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Riddle me this
Sender: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu

------=_Part_9901_16144280.1140722814996

You might check your faculty and staff handbooks and see if fair use is
addressed in them. I recently did this at my college and suggested updating
the faculty handbook fair use policy. We also talked about who is
responsible for making sure people abide from fair use.

We decided that the responsibility of correctly using materials in the
classroom setting falls on the faculty member. That said, however, we are
providing them with the tools. We purchased a couple of copyright/fair use
manuals. We are having a copyright session next year about copyright/fair
use/ and plagiarism.

What else are others doing?

Best,

Susan Payne
Library Director
College of Saint Mary
Omaha, NE

On 2/23/06, Ciara Healy <cmhealy@waketech.edu> wrote:

> I recently posted tot his list regarding my purchase of a
> for-home-viewing PBS video for my college library. I got excellent and
> quick responses alon the lines of :"for educational use - to show in
> class as part of the curriculum - it is fine" and this has opened up
> another set of questions for me.
>
> We lend media to professors, sometimes for a whole semester. This
> seems to frustrate the "only to show in class" part of the educational
> use. I ask myself.. should we be lending out videos for classrom use
> ONLY - like for two hours at a time or one or two class periods at a
> time - for months at a time?
>
> I suspect that professors check out the videos for months at a time
> because they can. Mainly so that they can save themselves a trip to the
> library to pick up or return items with in the confines of the regular
> library loan period of three weeks. For that matter, why three weeks? If
> they want to show a video during class, even two class periods, why
> check it out to them for more than the class periods or the two days
> they want to show it? I can book their videos for a custom amount of
> time, but sometimes they request 3 or 4 months. I know they are not
> using it every class period for that amount of time. I also am pretty
> sure they are not holding profit making public performances of it
> either...but still.
>
> The larger philosophical point here is about policing copyright. I have
> not been deputized by the feds to police copyright beyond my own active
> law breaking; like not copying protected material so that staff may keep
> one in their office for convenience sake. Should I presume that the
> burden is on the professor to use the video appropriately only in class?
> Yes. But how does that fit with super long check out periods? Shouldn't
> videos/DVDs thereby have really, really short checkout periods? To
> encourage..umm.. lawfulness?
>
> OK - maybe I want an excuse to block grabby professors who want to
> basically own the videos after the library buys them.
>
> I am working on revising my media policy and probably have been
> thinking about lending policies waaay too much lately.
>
> Ciara Healy
> Media Services Librarian
>
> Bruce I. Howell Library
> Wake Technical Community College
> 9101 Fayetteville Road
> Raleigh, NC 27603
>
> (919) 773-4724
> cmhealy@waketech.edu

------=_Part_9901_16144280.1140722814996

s addressed in them. I recently did this at my college and suggested updati=
ng the faculty handbook fair use policy. We also talked about who is respon=
sible for making sure people abide from fair use.
classroom setting falls on the faculty member. That said, however, we are =
providing them with the tools. We purchased a couple of copyright/fair use =
manuals. We are having a copyright session next year about copyright/fair u=
se/ and plagiarism.
Ciara Healy</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cmhealy@waketech.edu">cmhealy@waketec=
h.edu</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">I recently posted tot his list r=
egarding my purchase of a<br>for-home-viewing PBS video for my college libr=
ary. I got excellent and
in<br>class as part of the curriculum - it is fine&quot; and this has opene=
, sometimes for a whole semester.&nbsp;&nbsp;This
ucational<br>use. I ask myself.. should we be lending out videos for classr=
om use<br>ONLY - like for two hours at a time or one or two class periods a=
t a
the videos for months at a time<br>because they can. Mainly so that they c=
an save themselves a trip to the<br>library to pick up or return items with=
in the confines of the regular
f<br>they want to show a video during class, even two class periods, why<br=
>check it out to them for more than the class periods or the two days<br>
they want to show it? I can book their videos for a custom amount of<br>tim=
e, but sometimes they request 3 or 4 months. I know they are not<br>using i=
t every class period for that amount of time. I also am pretty<br>sure they=
are not holding profit making public performances of it
policing copyright. I have<br>not been deputized by the feds to police cop=
yright beyond my own active<br>law breaking; like not copying protected mat=
erial so that staff may keep
burden is on the professor to use the video appropriately only in class?<br=
>Yes. But how does that fit with super long check out periods? Shouldn't
ncourage..umm.. lawfulness?<br><br>OK - maybe I want an excuse to block gra=
bby professors who want to<br>basically own the videos after the library bu=
ys them.
thinking about lending policies waaay too much lately.<br><br>Ciara Healy<b=
Community College