Re: [Videolib] Criteria for buying TV shows

Michael Vollmar-Grone (vollmami@oplin.org)
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:59:12 -0500

--------------030306050505010904070301

I'd add to Gary's thoughts that popular appeal ought to be a driver in
public libraries, too.
Listening to what the customers are requesting and then looking to see
what they are actually using.
So, if Season One of Buffy goes out regularly, however you define your
circulation parameters, then Season Two becomes an easier acquisition,
and so on.

--

Michael Vollmar-Grone Director of Audiovisual Services Amos Memorial Public Library Sidney, Ohio 45365

Subject: Re: [Videolib] Criteria for buying TV shows From: Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:16:46 -0800

To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu

TV is a tough nut...and it's a nut you crack differently depending on your audience.

I think it would be a bit misguided to buy only Emmy Award shows (just as it would be misguided to only buy Oscar-winning movies). In academia, I'd say you buy TV to suit curricular and research needs: this usually means buying materials that represent the historical "growth" of the medium (growth of TV...big oxymoron!)...you buy to represent notable genre examples (sitcoms, scifi, talkshows, crime shows, etc.)...you buy to represent TV's reflection of the changing social, cultural, and political times, or TVs coverage of BIG EVENTS. The big issue, I think, is how much ("Do we buy the 145th season of the Simpsons, or will a couple of seasons do?). The intensity and depth of collecting should be closely pegged to the academic programs on a campus.

Public libraries, obviously, have slightly different criteria, but I think what I've said above would generally apply also.

At 05:32 AM 2/23/2006, you wrote: Is your library buying TV shows on DVD? If so, could you please share your criteria for making selections? We are buying some TV shows but because of the large number coming out on DVD we don't know where to draw the line. Are you buying only Emmy award winning shows? Any help is appreciated! Toni Blessing Popular Materials Supervisor Kanawha County Public Library Charleston, WV Toni.blessing@kanawha.lib.wv.us <mailto:Toni.blessing@kanawha.lib.wv.us>

--------------030306050505010904070301 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> I'd add to Gary's thoughts that popular appeal ought to be a driver in public libraries, too.