[Videolib] questions on sports for Gary...

MileFilms@aol.com
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:18:12 EST

--part1_f4.62862cf1.312e5944_boundary

In a message dated 2/22/06 6:58:35 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:

> Cubs...cubs...hmmmm
>
> My daughter still have to remind me constantly of the difference
> between the Oakland Raiders and the Oakland As...(ain't they both
> lacrosse teams?)

Gary,

Three things to know.

First, don't root for the Cubs. It'll only make Jessica happy, and she won't
like that. ;-) She needs the angst. 1908 and all that.

Secondly. A's fans dress better than Raiders fans, and that's a bizarre
statement about life in itself.

As for Mets fans, we're ALWAYS happy. We win, it's a miracle. We lose, it
reminds us of the good ol' days back when Casey Stengel said "We have a young
catcher who's 25 years old. In another ten years, he has a great chance of being
... (theatrical pause) ... thirty-five." We're very zen.

That's all you need to know about sports. (Though perhaps I'll tell you one
day very funny stories about the wonderful Elliott Wilhelm, film programmer at
the Detroit Institute of the Arts who didn't know a thing about sports, but
had lunch with the Tigers' legendary announcer for years. Asked what they
discussed, Elliott said, "Well, everything else." You got to admire both of them!)

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201.767.3117
Fax: 201.767.3035
milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_f4.62862cf1.312e5944_boundary

My daughter still have to remind me constantly of the difference
between the Oakland Raiders and the Oakland As...(ain't they both
lacrosse teams?)

Gary,

Three things to know.

First, don't root for the Cubs. It'll only make Jessica happy, and she won't= like that. ;-) She needs the angst. 1908 and all that.

Secondly. A's fans dress better than Raiders fans, and that's a bizarre stat= ement about life in itself.

As for Mets fans, we're ALWAYS happy. We win, it's a miracle. We lose, it re= minds us of the good ol' days back when Casey Stengel said "We have a young=20= catcher who's 25 years old. In another ten years, he has a great chance of b= eing ... (theatrical pause) ... thirty-five." We're very zen.

That's all you need to know about sports. (Though perhaps I'll tell you one=20= day very funny stories about the wonderful Elliott Wilhelm, film programmer=20= at the Detroit Institute of the Arts who didn't know a thing about sports, b= ut had lunch with the Tigers' legendary announcer for years. Asked what they= discussed, Elliott said, "Well, everything else." You got to admire both of= them!)