RE: [Videolib] LearMedia?

Logan, Michael (MLogan@co.humboldt.ca.us)
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:47:03 -0800

This recent thread regarding LearMedia has me wondering about Public
Domain films in general. There are any number of websites offering
access to or copies of Public Domain films, but often I find their
claims dubious at best. My question is, short of contacting the U.S.
Copyright Office and paying $75/hr. for a copyright search, how does one
find out what films fall in the Public Domain? Is there a reputable,
dependable source to search (or browse)?

Also, isn't it possible for a film to be "available elsewhere," yet
still fall in the Public Domain? I appeal to the Collective for
enlightenment...

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services
Humboldt County Library
(707) 269-1962

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Susan
Albrecht
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:27 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] LearMedia?

Um... er... is it kosher for me to ask whether a particular company out
there is legit? :-) People can write to me offlist, rather than on, if
they prefer, but I'm interested in knowing of any experiences y'all
might
have had with LearMedia. From their website [
http://www.learmedia.ca/aboutvids.php ]:

>>>All of the movies we offer on our website are unavailable via
distributors of regular retail routes in North America and are part of
the
public domain. Our service is to offer digitally reproduced DVD and VHS
replications of an original version (usually converted from PAL -
European
format), distributed with full-colour copies of the cover and label.

The audio and picture quality is pretty much identical to the original
version. Which, because we only offer older and discontinued titles, in
lot of cases cannot compete with the digital DVD quality of movies made
today. However, we guarantee your satisfaction and are prepared to offer

you a full refund (minus shipping) if you are unhappy in any way.

We stand behind the quality of our professional conversions and digital
reproductions. For every 1 person that was expecting audio and visual
quality comparable to the DVDs commercially available today, we receive
100
"thank you"s from people that are just happy to watch a movie that
brings
back great memories.<<<

Anyone have comments to share?

TIA,