Re: [Videolib] Documentary films on poverty in America?

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:30:37 -0500

--------------050104070605050203050705

One recent title that struck me as an excellent argument for a closer
look at the poverty and living wage issues so prevalent these days is
/Waging a Living/:

http://www.filmakers.com/indivs/wagingliving.htm

"More than 30 million Americans are stuck in jobs that pay less than the
federal poverty level for a family of four. Shot over a 3 year period,
this documentary chronicles the day-to-day struggles of four low-wage
earners to support their families. Jean Reynolds (nursing assistant) and
Mary Venittelli (waitress) of New Jersey, Jerry Longoria (security
guard) of San Francisco, and Barbara Brooks (student and single mother)
of Freeport, N.Y. relate their dreams, frustrations, and accomplishments."

My impression upon viewing the film is that it drives home how much of a
struggle it can be for those who might do all the right things (further
their education, do well in their jobs, try to properly care for their
families and provide them with basic medical care, etc.) but still
cannot get a leg up. It's been used a great deal interdisciplinarily
since we acquired it for our collection.

Best,

Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department