RE: [Videolib] question on copyrights

Brewer, Michael (
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:36:17 -0700

I have not been talking about streaming to anyone anytime anyplace (or
anywhere close to this). I have been discussing in which situations (if
any) fair use would cover the streaming of an entire film to a class or
to reserves (only to those registered, and only for the duration of the

If a copy is damaged, a replacement would need to be purchased
regardless of whether or not you had made a digital copy for fair use
purposes (unless the film is unavailable in an unused copy, per section
108. In that situation, you could make a replacement copy).

The issue of needing to stream the film simultaneously to different
viewers (requiring more than one copy) IS an issue that must be
considered when fair use is weighed. This could easily be seen (by me,
for example) as negatively affecting the copyright holder (especially if
the film is in print). As such, it might very well tip the scales
against fair use. I don't think this issue is insurmountable, however.
There are means of allowing only a single digital transmission at a
time. This is an inconvenience to the user, but would protect the
copyright holder.

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University