Re: [Videolib] question on copyrights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:12:18 -0500

It is different both practically and legally. Frankly if you want the total
convenience of any student being able to watch a film at any time in
as one media person once said to me referring to closed circuit system
"in the convenience of their dorm room" you are going to have to pay for it.
However in many, many cases it won't be available at any price due to issues
I have mentioned in previous posts. Frankly physical copies have accepted
built in limitations. You might need more than one to meet demand, you will
almost inevitably have to replace a lost or damaged copy, bottom line is
that over time it might cost you more than the $20 you paid for a copy. What
You want is to pay $20 for a film, digitize a copy and have it forever and
make available to any student or prof who needs it in conjunction with an
academic activity. There may of course be a middle ground here in which
You might pay say a whopping $20 a year to do this but even that means
that those rights have to available for purchase and for many films they
are not and in some important cases may never be. And again per my previous
post if it were legal to digitize a whole feature film for streaming there
would be no difference between a copy you bought from a distributor and a
copy you took out of video store, got from Netflix or borrowed on
interlibrary loan. I don't know of any small company selling what I will
call retail feature films that could survive if this were so.

On a much more important topic

GO CUBS ( shoot me Gary , Spring Training started and Susan roots for the
Right team)

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International