Re: [Videolib] question on copyrights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:17:49 -0500

Well we will have to agree to disagree but since the TEACH ACT
specifically prohibits the use of an entire dramatic work and
" Fair use' requires you to consider the amount use I don't see a valid
Argument for ever streaming a feature film without the rights holders
Permission. As you might imagine this is an issue on which I am rather
Sensitive since as I have mentioned before Kino ITSELF often does not
own rights for streaming titles in our collection.
The gist of the rest of my post was a response to the original question
About being VERY careful in using something provided by a professor.
In most cases it would be far wiser to just purchase the copy for the
Institution and if you can't find one than find out EXACTLY how the
professor obtained his or hers. If they happen to have an old legal
Copy of a rare and now out of print title, great, if on the other hand
They bought if off the internet from one of those charming sites that
Offers " rare unavailable films" odds are it is an ILLEGAL copy