[Videolib] DVD-R -- not a stable format

Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:49:50 -0500

CB,

I also wonder if we should post our comments to the videonews listserv.

Perhaps distributors are unaware that DVD-R is an unstable format. I
certainly don't want to purchase DVD-Rs if they need special playback
equipment. Lately, I've noticed that this problem applies to
educational documentaries, and not feature films.

As Meg pointed out earlier, it does create a huge problem for
instructors and students who show up for class and find that they are
unable to watch the film in class.

What do you think?

Best,

*************************
Monique Threatt
Librarian for Media, and Communication & Culture
Herman B Wells Library, W121
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
T: (812) 855-9857
F: (812) 855-1649
E: mthreatt@indiana.edu

Based on feedback I've received so far, this seems to be a growing
problem. You bring up some very good questions that I hope others will
join in and address.

Best,