RE: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Logan, Michael (MLogan@co.humboldt.ca.us)
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:36:17 -0800

David Mamet's House of Games is a must-see. <geek interlude>And as long
as we're mentioning TV shows, the officers on Star Trek: the Next
Generation played poker frequently on the show </geek interlude>

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services
Humboldt County Library
(707) 269-1962

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Erika Day
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:57 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Here's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggestions?

> My research is examining images of poker players and poker playing
> in the U.S. from 1890 to today. The movies are just one portion of
> a much larger project, but a very important one. I wouldn't want
> to watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I'm more
> interested in movies where poker players or poker playing are a bit
> more central to the theme of the film. For instance, California
> Split, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big
> Hand for a Little Lady, and of course, Rounders, would all be very
> good selections. I am also interested in movies where poker isn't
> central to the story, but acts to create a certain image of a
> character. Like in some of the old Westerns the Hero will be a
> smooth poker player or the bad guy will be a cheat. Another
> example might be something like The Odd Couple where some of the
> local boys get together for their Wednesday night poker game. What
> I'm trying to do is get an idea of how the image of "gambler" is
> constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed over time,
> and what that change, if there is one, means.

::::
Erika Day Media Librarian
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia
(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a
video