RE: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Mark Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:56:08 -0500

List has both "poker" and "gambling".....

The Gambler....Kenny Rogers
The Gambler...James Caan
The Color of Money
Maverick...Mel Gibson, Jamie Foster, and James Garner
The Hustler
The Pope of Greenwich Village
The Sting...Newman and Redford Classic!
Cincinnati Kid...Ann Margaret and Steve McQueen
Tombstone...Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer
Cool Hand Luke....the hard-boiled egg scene?
The Good Thief...Nick Nolte
Stuey...about poker legend Stu "The Kid" Ungar

Hmmm...I might have to rent a pile of films I haven't seen in a while,
this weekend...GREAT topic!

Mark

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Erika Day
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:57 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Here's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggestions?

> My research is examining images of poker players and poker playing in
> the U.S. from 1890 to today. The movies are just one portion of a
> much larger project, but a very important one. I wouldn't want to
> watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I'm more interested in

> movies where poker players or poker playing are a bit more central to
> the theme of the film. For instance, California Split, The Killing of
> a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big Hand for a Little Lady,
> and of course, Rounders, would all be very good selections. I am also

> interested in movies where poker isn't central to the story, but acts
> to create a certain image of a character. Like in some of the old
> Westerns the Hero will be a smooth poker player or the bad guy will be

> a cheat. Another example might be something like The Odd Couple where

> some of the local boys get together for their Wednesday night poker
> game. What I'm trying to do is get an idea of how the image of
> "gambler" is constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed
> over time, and what that change, if there is one, means.

::::
Erika Day Media Librarian
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia
(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a
video