RE: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:08:28 -0500

=20

________________________________

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John Streepy
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:17 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Hi all,=20
I would have to suggest the Clooney version of Ocean's 11. Brad Pitt
teaching the "hollywood kids" how to play poker was one of the best bits
of the film, and clearly help establish his character as well as
illustrated the notion that knowing how to play poker, or at least
looking like you know how to play poker, is important for your "image"
in our society.=20
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

>>>eld2n@virginia.edu 02/16/06 8:57 am >>>
Here's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggestions?

>My research is examining images of poker players and poker playing=20
>in the U.S. from 1890 to today. The movies are just one portion of=20
>a much larger project, but a very important one. I wouldn't want=20
>to watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I'm more=20
>interested in movies where poker players or poker playing are a bit=20
>more central to the theme of the film. For instance, California=20
>Split, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big=20
>Hand for a Little Lady, and of course, Rounders, would all be very=20
>good selections. I am also interested in movies where poker isn't=20
>central to the story, but acts to create a certain image of a=20
>character. Like in some of the old Westerns the Hero will be a=20
>smooth poker player or the bad guy will be a cheat. Another=20
>example might be something like The Odd Couple where some of the=20
>local boys get together for their Wednesday night poker game. What=20
>I'm trying to do is get an idea of how the image of "gambler" is=20
>constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed over time,=20
>and what that change, if there is one, means.
::::
Erika Day Media Librarian
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia
(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a=20
video

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6332C.5FAAF4B5

http://www.i= mdb.com/SearchPlots?for=3Dplaying+poker

Here are a = few movies=20 listed on the Internet Movie Database where playing poker is = included in=20 the plot, or at least plays an integral part of the movie.

I hope you = are able to=20 open the URL.

Best,
Monique

Monique Threatt =
Librarian for Media, and = Communication &=20 Culture
Herman B=20 Wells Library, W121
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405
T:   (812) 855-9857 =