Re: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:04:12 -0800

--=====================_28593609==.ALT

...and I'll raise you...

Here's what the AFI catalog lists under the subject: (I'm only
listing stuff available in video or DVD). There are notable poker
scenes in all, although the game is not necessarily central

<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115198_5043&ID=22927>5
Card Stud (1968), Henry Hathaway Paramount Pictures
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115198_5043&ID=52810>Alias
Jesse James (1959), Norman Z. McLeod Hope Enterprises, Inc.
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115198_5043&ID=5056>Angels
over Broadway (1940), Ben Hecht Columbia Pictures Corp.
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=50404>The
Bad and the Beautiful (1953), Vincente Minnelli Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Corp. [Loew's Inc.]
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=50416>Bend
of the River (1952), Anthony Mann Universal-International Pictures Co., Inc.
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=22678>A
Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966), Fielder Cook Eden
Productions (currently out of video distribution)
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=20673>Butch
Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), George Roy Hill Campanile Productions
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=22831>The
Cincinnati Kid (1965), Norman Jewison Filmways, Inc.
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=52880>The
Five Pennies (1959), Melville Shavelson Dena Pictures, Inc.
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=25925>Flamingo
Road (1949), Michael Curtiz Michael Curtiz Productions,
Inc. (currently out of video distribution)
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=53172>Heller
in Pink Tights (1960), George Cukor Ponti-Girosi Productions
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=51583>The
Man with the Golden Arm (1956), Otto Preminger Carlyle Productions, Inc.
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/1140115373_6913&ID=1104>Ruggles
of Red Gap (1935), Leo McCarey Paramount Productions, Inc. (cowboy
Charlie Ruggles wins butler Charles Laughton in a poker game! one of my faves)

IMDB logs in with

<http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0027255>Aces and Eights (1936)

The Carson City Kid (<http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1940>1940)
Honeymoon in Vegas (<http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1992>1992)

<http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0093223>House of Games (1987)

Luckytown (<http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Years/2000>2000)

<http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0110478>Maverick (1994)

Rounders (<http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1998>1998)
Run (<http://us.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1991>1991)

(currently out of video distribution)

...and with that, I fold...

gary

At 08:57 AM 2/16/2006, you wrote:
>Here's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggestions?
>
>>My research is examining images of poker players and poker playing
>>in the U.S. from 1890 to today. The movies are just one portion of
>>a much larger project, but a very important one. I wouldn't want
>>to watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I'm more
>>interested in movies where poker players or poker playing are a bit
>>more central to the theme of the film. For instance, California
>>Split, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big
>>Hand for a Little Lady, and of course, Rounders, would all be very
>>good selections. I am also interested in movies where poker isn't
>>central to the story, but acts to create a certain image of a
>>character. Like in some of the old Westerns the Hero will be a
>>smooth poker player or the bad guy will be a cheat. Another
>>example might be something like The Odd Couple where some of the
>>local boys get together for their Wednesday night poker game. What
>>I'm trying to do is get an idea of how the image of "gambler" is
>>constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed over time,
>>and what that change, if there is one, means.
>:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::
>Erika Day Media Librarian
>Robertson Media Center
>University of Virginia
>(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
>http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
>Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a
>video

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
[...]