Re: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

Darla Moore (DMMOORE@Rollins.edu)
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:28:01 -0500

--=__Part3A188021.0__=

"Maverick" features poker. In "Funny Girl," Fanny Brice's husband,
Nick Arnstein, is a poker player. And Gregory Peck played poker as
gambler Cleve Van Valen in "How the West Was Won."
Darla Moore
Rollins College, Olin Library

>>> eld2n@virginia.edu 2/16/2006 11:57 am >>>
Here's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggestions?

> My research is examining images of poker players and poker playing
> in the U.S. from 1890 to today. The movies are just one portion of

> a much larger project, but a very important one. I wouldn't want
> to watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I'm more
> interested in movies where poker players or poker playing are a bit

> more central to the theme of the film. For instance, California
> Split, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big
> Hand for a Little Lady, and of course, Rounders, would all be very
> good selections. I am also interested in movies where poker isn't
> central to the story, but acts to create a certain image of a
> character. Like in some of the old Westerns the Hero will be a
> smooth poker player or the bad guy will be a cheat. Another
> example might be something like The Odd Couple where some of the
> local boys get together for their Wednesday night poker game. What

> I'm trying to do is get an idea of how the image of "gambler" is
> constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed over time,
> and what that change, if there is one, means.

::::
Erika Day Media Librarian
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia
(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a
video