Re: [Videolib] Poker playing in films

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.EDU)
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:17:03 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_60c8pAQduYI73SCG+/CMaw)

Hi all,
I would have to suggest the Clooney version of Ocean's 11. Brad Pitt
teaching the hollywood kids how to play poker was one of the best bits
of the film, and clearly help establish his character as well as
illustrated the notion that knowing how to play poker, or at least
looking like you know how to play poker, is important for your image in
our society.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

>>>eld2n@virginia.edu 02/16/06 8:57 am >>>
Here's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggestions?

>My research is examining images of poker players and poker playing
>in the U.S. from 1890 to today. The movies are just one portion of
>a much larger project, but a very important one. I wouldn't want
>to watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I'm more
>interested in movies where poker players or poker playing are a bit
>more central to the theme of the film. For instance, California
>Split, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big
>Hand for a Little Lady, and of course, Rounders, would all be very
>good selections. I am also interested in movies where poker isn't
>central to the story, but acts to create a certain image of a
>character. Like in some of the old Westerns the Hero will be a
>smooth poker player or the bad guy will be a cheat. Another
>example might be something like The Odd Couple where some of the
>local boys get together for their Wednesday night poker game. What
>I'm trying to do is get an idea of how the image of gambler is
>constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed over time,
>and what that change, if there is one, means.
::::
Erika Day Media Librarian
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia
(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a
video

--Boundary_(ID_60c8pAQduYI73SCG+/CMaw)

=0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A <= body style=3D"margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 4px; margin-right: 4px= ; margin-top: 4px">=0D=0A

Hi all,=0D=0A
= =0D=0A
I would have to suggest the Clooney version of Ocean&#= 39;s 11.  Brad Pitt teaching the "hollywood kids" how = to play poker was one of the best bits of the film, and clearly h= elp establish his character as well as illustrated the notion that kn= owing how to play poker, or at least looking like you know how to= play poker, is important for your "image" in our socie= ty.=0D=0A
=0D=0A
jhs

John H. Streepy
M= edia Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Li= brary
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
= Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cw= u.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.=
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"
>>>eld2n@virginia.edu 02/16/06 8:57 am >>>
Her= e's a fun questions from one of my grad students, any suggest= ions?

>My research is examining images of poker players= and poker playing
>in the U.S. from 1890 to today. =  The movies are just one portion of
>a much larger p= roject, but a very important one.  I wouldn't want&= #160;
>to watch every movie that has poker playing in it, I= 'm more
>interested in movies where poker players or = poker playing are a bit
>more central to the theme of the= film. For instance, California
>Split, The Killi= ng of a Chinese Bookie, The Lady Eve, Shade, A Big <= br>>Hand for a Little Lady, and of course, Rounders, w= ould all be very
>good selections.  I am also i= nterested in movies where poker isn't
>central to the= story, but acts to create a certain image of a
>char= acter. Like in some of the old Westerns the Hero will be a
&= gt;smooth poker player or the bad guy will be a cheat.  Ano= ther
>example might be something like The Odd Couple wher= e some of the
>local boys get together for their Wednesda= y night poker game.  What
>I'm trying to do= is get an idea of how the image of "gambler" is
&= gt;constructed in the U.S. and how that image has changed over time&#= 44;
>and what that change, if there is one, means= .
::::
Erika Day Media Librarian
Robertson Media Cent= er
University of Virginia