Re: [Videolib] Re: Recent Title on Women's Issues / Globilization

Diane Rhodes (diane.rhodes@films.com)
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:08:04 -0500

--B_3222839288_318407

> Films for the Humanities has these. Some can be previewed online, ALL can=
be
> previewed free for one month ...
>=20
> STORIES OF WOMEN IN KABUL: =A9 2004. PREVIEW CLIP ONLINE. The film=B9s produc=
ers
> had unlimited access to Kabul=B9s =B3Garden of Women=B2 =8Bperhaps the only publi=
> place in Afghanistan where men are not welcome... a women=B9s prison is als=
> visited ... Meet a therapist who conducts support groups for the traumati=
zed,
> and a cafeteria employee struggling to improve her family=B9s living condit=
ions.
>=20
> FIGHTING FEMALE CIRCUMCISION IN AFRICA: =A9 2004. PREVIEW CLIP ON LINE. Th=
is
> program presents multiple perspectives on the issue, interviewing health =
care
> personnel, professional circumcisers, women who have undergone the ritual=
, and
> men who are against it.
>=20
> FORGING PEACE IN GUATAMALA: =A9 1997. Stirring portraits of three Mayan wom=
en
> and their efforts on behalf of peace. Adela, a widow, bravely sustains he=
> refugee family. Justina tirelessly travels the countryside explaining the
> human rights movement to fellow villagers. Francesca, a Mayan priestess,
> reaffirms the cultural identity of her people. Stunning photography evoke=
s the
> Mayan Popol Vuh creation story and punctuates the women=B9s courageous stru=
ggle.
> (OLDER, BUT SHOWN LAST YR AT PRINCETON PUBLIC LIB=B9S HUMAN RIGHTS FILM FES=
T)
> =A0
> FIGHTING THE TIDE: DEVELOPING NATIONS AND GLOBALIZATION: =A9 2004. 5-part
> series. Many Westerners embrace globalization=8Bbut do they grasp how profo=
undly
> their consumption and spending habits affect people thousands of miles aw=
ay?
> Filmed entirely on location in Malawi, Ecuador, Nicaragua, India, and
> Guatemala, the series illuminates what globalization means for citizens o=
> those nations. Emotional and informative interviews with farmers, school
> teachers, community activists, and others .
>=20
> We have lots more =8Cglobalization=B9 titles/series, tho not specifically foc=
used
> on women=B9s issues...
>=20
> --=20
Diane Rhodes, Production Editor
Films for the Humanities & Sciences
www.films.com; 800-257-5126
Diane.rhodes@films.com

>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =A0
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> We acquire many titles on globalization themes...
>=20
> I have to say that, in general, some of the best =B3bang for the buck=B2, IMH=
O,
> are the Bullfrog Films video series =B3Life=B2. While no one video will give=
an
> complete overall view (really... How could you sum up the condition of th=
> world=B9s women in ONE video!) the individual programs are superb.
>=20
> Life, City Life, Life III, Life IV
> http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/ls.html
>=20
>=20
> And while it=B9s older that Postcards.... You might also consider their ser=
ies:
> A Woman=B9s Place (6 10 minute films for the UN Beijing Conference on Wome=
n)
> http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/awp.html
>=20
>=20
> --
> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Arizona State University at the West Campus
> PO Box 37100=20
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522
> Email: deg.farrelly@asu.edu
>=20
>=20
>=20
> From: Meghann Matwichuk <mtwchk@udel.edu>
>=20
> Subject: [Videolib] Recent Title on Women's Issues / Globilization
>=20
> Dear Collective Brain,
>=20
> I have been trying to locate possible titles for a faculty who has been u=
sing
> Postcards from the Future for some time now, and who would like to use
> something similar in scope and tone that is more up-to-date (Postcards wa=
> released in 1997). Our catalog description of this title reads "This pro=
gram
> features women throughout the world who are working toward gaining power =
and
> making a difference." Can anyone think of any similar titles that have b=
een
> released within the last, say, 2-3 years? Or know of any programs curren=
tly
> in development? I have suggested Peace x Peace: Women on the Frontlines=
and
> a handful of other possibilities, but am still looking for the right one.
> This is the faculty's wishlist:
>=20
> "It should be something just as engaging as this one, but it doesn't only=
have
> to show accomplishments....sort of a snapshot of worldwide women's issues=
,
> looking at several key countries. I like this one because it links women=
's
> activism with environmental activism, peace activism and efforts to addre=
> [...]

--B_3222839288_318407