RE: [Videolib] Purchase vs license modeles - WAS RE:

Rick Provine (PROVINE@depauw.edu)
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:56:49 -0500

This is fun!

Maybe the in-between compromise answer here is pay per view. I am not
anxious to get my users hooked on a bunch if titles that I may not be
able to keep. And your catalog could change any time, changing what my
users have gotten used to.

We spend a lot of time making sure people know what we have and
securing access (cataloging, packaging, etc). Expensive in several
ways. Unless licensing is very broad and stable, I would be wary.

But a PPV model offers me the luxury of not tying up a lot of funds,
but still grants access to all titles in a vendor catalog. My 1000.00
will go a lot farther and be more targeted and efficient. Then the
vendor gets paid for what I want. Many people would pay ten dollars (a
fictional number out of the ether) to view a title that cannot affort
400.00 to purchase it. But over time, the vendor could still amortize
the cost, and save on duping and "publishing" costs.

This presents obvious problems for the vendor. Expensive to build a
stable and scalable PPV set up. Maybe one of the more feature-oriented
online services could serve as a distribution site. Just brainstorming
here....

Rick

>>> jmiller@frif.com 2/14/2006 9:32 AM >>>
For what it's worth, I agree with this.