RE: [Videolib] Digital Streaming Companiesandlicenseoptions

Mark Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:35:10 -0500

[ I believe that's why some of the largest producers are nervous about
streaming in the first place. They feel vulnerable with regard to
music, archival footage, and performers' (narrator, dubbed voices etc.)
rights amongst others.]

Someone, anyone...please!.. PLEASE!!!...explain to me why a producer is
"MORE vulnerable" with a different playback format!!! I said it earlier,
and I'll ask again...
What do YOU see as the difference between the rights for a VHS tape, vs
the rights for a digitized work? If the very same piece of information
can be viewed in perpetuity on a VHS tape, then why not, in some digital
format? What are you seeing, that I am not???

Mark

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John
Hoskyns-Abrahall
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 12:26 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Digital Streaming Companiesandlicenseoptions

Hi, Barb

Believe me noone likes licenses. They are always a logistical
nightmare.

But I don't understand how companies can offer licenses in perpetuity
unless the production in question is all their original work and/or it's
in the public domain.

I believe that's why some of the largest producers are nervous about
streaming in the first place. They feel vulnerable with regard to
music, archival footage, and performers' (narrator, dubbed voices etc.)
rights amongst others.

I assume that with new works producers are demanding digital rights for
every conceivable platform, but will they be able to obtain them in
perpetuity? For the right price, and when the rights holders feel
secure, I assume. But it will take time for agreements to become
standardized.

All the best,
John