RE: [Videolib] Digital Streaming Companiesandlicenseoptions

M. Claire Stewart (claire-stewart@northwestern.edu)
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:25:51 -0600

In addition to the great questions that you list below, I hope our
review committees also ask: why are we considering purchasing these
licenses? Is it really necessary? How are the materials being used,
and does fair use or TEACH apply? There are four fair use factors; I
think often the amount used is what makes video librarians think fair
use doesn't apply, but that is only one factor among four. So far,
our colleagues in music and visual resources have argued this more
successfully than we have; they've been making the whole works case
since CONFU and have recommended copyright policies to back it up.

I realize that this comment may provoke the usual response from some
on this list. I strongly disagree with the perspective that
digitizing and streaming titles which the institution legally owns
without purchasing an additional "digital license" is necessarily
illegal.

I would like to hear from others who are typically silent when these
debates arise on VIDEOLIB. I'm curious where the people not
represented on Monique's list stand. I know not everyone has the
technological resources to support a local streaming service; waiting
for the video equivalent of a Naxos/Classical Music online service
and paying a subscription fee makes sense in those cases (or maybe in
all cases: Northwestern has both a robust local music streaming
service and subscriptions to music streaming databases). But if it's
not a question of technical resources, and faculty are requesting
streaming, has the institution chosen not to make a legal decision,
leaving the question hanging? What strikes me most are the cases
where licenses are being purchased but no services provided. We may
have taken to electronic journals like ducks to water, but there were
significant new services being offered with ejournals: centrally
delivered electronic content, vastly improved access through search
services, etc. What exactly are we paying for now?

If folks want to email me offlist please do: claire-stewart@northwestern.edu .

Claire

--
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services, Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center