RE: [Videolib] Digital Streaming Companiesandlicenseoptions

Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:31:28 -0800

Seems to me we should ALL be saying "NO" to licensing terms that put
the institution at a clear disadvantage. In my book, the current
benefits of streamed media (as opposed to DVD or tape) simply don't
justify repeatedly paying thru the nose for access to the same
title. Forcing video into a serial mode is a pretty nasty road to
travel down. There is no market justification for renewable
licensing and I see no reason to encourage or support the practice.

Gary

At 01:23 PM 2/11/2006, you wrote:

>I'm okay with paying a reasonable higher price for digital access, but
>cost aside, digital rights that have to be renewed create a purchasing
>problem because I am no longer making a one-time purchase.
>
>Anything with an ongoing cost is considered a serial, with ongoing staff
>time as well as ongoing financial commitments. It will be treated the
>same as if we were purchasing access to a journal database.
>So, in order to purchase digital rights with a time limit, I lose a lot
>of my autonomy in making purchasing decisions. I am going to have to go
>make my case to our Serials Review Committee - who are going to ask all
>the same questions that we're asking (while also getting over the
>sticker shock of how much many educational videos cost in the first
>place). Other questions they will ask - Whose budget is going to pay
>for the renewal? Who will keep track of the length of the license? Who
>will decide whether to continue access? Who is responsible for making
>sure the renewal gets paid? What if we decide that our budget can't
>absorb the renewal costs?
>
>Will I be looking at acquiring digital access? Yes.
>Are we jumping in? Not yet.
>Will perpetual access be a selling point? Definitely.
>

>Barb Bergman
>Media Services Librarian
>Minnesota State University-Mankato
>(507) 389-5945