RE: [Videolib] Digital Streaming Companiesandlicenseoptions

Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:41:33 -0500

Right you are, Barb.

The same questions have come up at our institution. I'm working with
Acquisitions and Cataloging to create policies to determine who and how
we will handle, and process access to digital rights/files/licensing,
etc. I was able to ask JMU and UM about their policies, and they were
very helpful. Our Acquisitions department will handle the purchase of
digital resources as a serials subscription, and Cataloging will make a
note in the MARC record. Training and maintenance support will be
provided by our technology department. Thank goodness our technical
services people have a system in place that notifies fund managers when
databases/licenses expire. As fund managers, will need to ask for more
Serials funds in our budget request and hope it's approved. Otherwise,
I will not be able to sustain streaming on my campus.

I admit, it's a very time consuming process, and we are learning as we
go. But the benefits to our faculty and students makes it all
worthwhile.

I agree with you -- perpetual access is a great selling point!

Best,