Re: [Videolib] Streaming terms

Gerald A. Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:33:44 -0500 (EST)

Jessica Rosner wrote:
> Not unless educational institutions want to willingly break the law.
> It may well become as easy as pressing a button to download any movie ever
> made ( per that old commercial with the motel) but certain rights holder
> simply will not agree and there is no way that Congress is going to pass a
> law saying that as long as you pay someone X fee you can download
> something

Not speaking at all of breaking the law, but of being forced economically
of using material which can be legally streamed or digitized. Educational
institutions are spending fortunes on new technologies as requested by
faculty and they are already complaining about VHS. So my prediction has
to do with technological availability rather than law. I've seen what they
have turned to with previously alluded to journal accessibility. And they
are the ones who chose.

Jerry