Re: [Videolib] Video costs

MileFilms@aol.com
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:14:54 EST

--part1_2a1.54aee48.311e5c4e_boundary

In a message dated 2/10/06 3:03:41 PM, cmhealy@waketech.edu writes:

>=20
> So my conclusion is that either way - if demand goes up or down, that
> video prices will skyrocket.=A0 And so will textbook prices.
>=20

Just to point out. Even twenty years ago, to buy a film, you would probably=20
have to buy a 16mm print which cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. Now you can=
=20
get a movie as low as $4.99 to $450. How much do you think a textbook equal=20=
to=20
WB's 3-disc DVD release of KING KONG or WIZARD OF OZ would cost in today's=20
market? The textbook analogy doesn't really work for me either, but as they=20=
say,=20
movies are your best educational value. Now let's all go to the lobby! ;-)

Seriously, in my end of the field (feature documentary and fiction films),=20
the price drop has been hazardous to one's health. Though as a consumer, it'=
s a=20
golden age for access.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

"Welcome to New Jersey.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Big Hair, Big Heart, Big Fun!"
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0- Amy Heller

--part1_2a1.54aee48.311e5c4e_boundary

So my conclusion is that either way - if demand goes up or down, that
video prices will skyrocket.=A0 And so will textbook prices.

Just to point out. Even twenty years ago, to buy a film, you would probab= ly have to buy a 16mm print which cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. Now you=20= can get a movie as low as $4.99 to $450. How much do you think a textbook eq= ual to WB's 3-disc DVD release of KING KONG or WIZARD OF OZ would cost in to= day's market? The textbook analogy doesn't really work for me either, but as= they say, movies are your best educational value. Now let's all go to the l= obby! ;-)

Seriously, in my end of the field (feature documentary and fiction films), t= he price drop has been hazardous to one's health. Though as a consumer, it's= a golden age for access.