[Videolib] Streaming terms

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:50:51 -0500

Jessica Rosner wrote:

>> If I seem cynical on this stuff it is because I have a more close up
>> view of how many rights holders feel. Some of it is fear of losing
> controlconvergence
>> or money and some of it are folks who are simply very protective of their
>> films. Keep in mind that copyright lasts a lot longer and has far fewer
>> exemptions in Europe than it does here so European rights holders have
>> a different mind set. You can say use it or lose it till you are blue
>> In the face but you still may not be able to use many films by Renoir
>> Chaplin, Wenders, Pagnol etc in any streaming system. I would hate to
>> think
>> That someone would simply not teach or use a title in a course if they
>> could
>> ONLY get it on DVD or god forbid VHS ( Sadly there are many films you
>> can't
>> even legally get in those formats)
>
> I think modern educational technology has taught us that that is exactly
> what will happen. Digital convergance is breathing down our back faster
> than any stubborn rights' holders can imagine. And it WILL come to that.
>
> Jerry

Not unless educational institutions want to willingly break the law.
It may well become as easy as pressing a button to download any movie ever
made ( per that old commercial with the motel) but certain rights holder
simply will not agree and there is no way that Congress is going to pass a
law saying that as long as you pay someone X fee you can download something
they own against their wishes. I understand it seems illogical and we all
know that you can find almost any film you want available in a bootleg DVD
But alas that does not mean that it is going to make certain rights holders
more amenable to licensing their films. I have film buff friends who believe
that any feature owned by the studios will be downloadable for a fee
in a few years but I am not holding my breath for Paramount to make Raymond
Griffith films available ( one the best and now forgotten silent film
comediennes) any more than I expect Fox to make all the Gaynor/ Farrell
films available. Of course most of these would mean little for educational
institutions but the studios are far more likely to license large parts of
their libraries than overseas owners. One the ironies I see is that I am
convinced there are FEWER titles available now for PUBLIC showings than when
16mm was its prime in say the mid 70s.( at least as a percentage of films
made to that point) Thousands of films that used to be available no longer
are even if they may be out on VHS or DVD so technology
Does not always equal access at least legally
Jessica