[Videolib] Comments: List of Digital Streaming Companiesandlicense

Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:08:36 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C62E6D.03A40C13

Hi John,
=20
This is by no means a personal attack on you. I don't dispute the
first-sale cost. We all want to support independent work, and most of
us have a great working relationship with distributors. Unfortunately,
tiered pricing continues to be a problem. I'm in a position to afford
costly videos/DVDs, but I feel sorry for smaller colleges and
universities whose budgets are next-to-nothing, and they still have to
pay those high institutional prices for quality films.
=20
I'm happy to pay the hundreds of dollars THE FIRST TIME. My problem
lies with distributors who want to further capitalize on those resources
already owned by the library. For example, a $300 video in 2005 will
end up costing $900 in three years if I choose to buy license rights at
$200 a pop for three years. When I say buy the right, I'm merely
getting a piece of paper with restrictions. It's my people who have to
do all the production work. And I'm afraid, as someone mentioned
earlier, that with all these additional streaming and licensing costs,
we are putting our students at a huge disadvantage by not offering
greater access to media resources. I like to think that as public
service providers, we can offer our stressed out students a little
extra, don't you?
=20
All the best. This topic will go on and on...
=20
Have a terrific weekend?
=20