RE: [Videolib] Comments: List of Digital Streaming Companies

John Hoskyns-Abrahall (John@bullfrogfilms.com)
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:22:37 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C62E5E.34A820B8

Hi, Monique and everyone
=20
>From the distributor's point of view -- at least one distributor's -- my
point of comparison is always with textbooks.
=20
Distributors have always said that if professors assigned videos the way
they assign textbooks, then the price of course would drop dramatically,
even though the production costs of most documentaires are (I suspect)
far greater than producing textbooks.
=20
Now that video is finally being seen in most quarters in this country as
an essential part of higher education I think it's unfair to
characterize our prices as exorbitant. In most cases the amount of
royalties that distributors are able to return to producers when
compared to production costs is pathetic.
=20
Don't producers get income from other sources that are not open to
textbook authors? Sometimes, but I think you all know how notoriously
hard it is to sell a program to television, and the exceptions go to
prove the rule.
=20
Dennis has eloquently explained that you don't go into distribution for
the money.
=20
So my conclusion is that if higher ed is going to rely more heavily on
the use of media, then the price should probably go up.
=20
Whether that will happen in practice remains to be seen.
=20
All the best,
John
=20