Re: [Videolib] Fwd: Re: [Videonews] DRAFT GRID: List of

Steve Brantley (jbrant1@uic.edu)
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:16:59 -0600

> This is useful Monique...thanks
>

> I'm very interested in distributors that opt for limited-term
licenses rather than in-perpetuity licensing...makes absolutely no sense
from a buyer's perspective: this ain't ejournal territory, in which
content in a database changes and expands over time (in which case
limited-term licensing makes sense). What we're talking about is paying
for access to the same film over and over and over again. This kind of
economic model wasn't foisted on us in the days of analog...why should
it be in the days of digital?

Hornbeck, Patty wrote:
> Good point, Gary. Talk with your distributors! Many of them are trying to find their balance with this new service as well, and will listen and consider fair comments about their pricing and licensing terms. Buyers need be involved with setting the ground rules for the marketing of streaming media and we will never have a better opportunity.
> Patty
> _________________________________
> Patricia Hornbeck
> Media Resources Development Coordinator
> Middlebury College
> Library and Information Services/#212
> Middlebury, VT 05753
>
> (802)443-2268 phone
> (802)443-5698 fax
> Email: hornbeck@middlebury.edu

I hope the distributors are listening! So many questions arise when we
start talking about licensing. What about the quality of the product? If
a library has three year license to stream a 320x240 pixel video to
their patrons, are they also purchasing a dvd for their library
collection as part of the price? Digital distribution of the media but
with severely diminished quality does not make for an equal exchange.
And we are being asked to pay more than once? puh-leeze!

What about features or feature-length films as opposed to shorter
educational video? If they are streamed and have no physical counterpart
in the library, can the media be projected to a group at an acceptable
quality for programming purposes?
The only difference that _should_ exist between a library circulating a
physical digital versatile disc and being able to deliver that same
content over a network should be the ease of access to users (who knows?
maybe as the technology becomes ubiquitous, networked audiovisual
content will become an ADA compliance issue?!).

Steve Brantley