RE: [Videolib] List of Digital Streaming Companies and license

Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:51:53 -0500

Thanks, Sue.
This is very helpful!

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Sue Parks
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] List of Digital Streaming Companies and license
options

Hi, Monique.

Here are the list of distributors from whom I've purchased digital
rights this past year. Each contract had somewhat different requirements
but in general, here are the terms:

Direct Cinema
License for one semester to digitize our own materials

Filmmakers Library
License for one year to digitize our own materials

Berkeley Media LLC
License for two years to digitize our own materials

Documentary Educational Resources
License for one year to digitize our own materials

Carousel Film and Video
License in perpetuity to digitize our own materials

Films Media Group
Options you've already mentioned. We are opting to license in perpetuity
to digitize our own materials.

Sue

Sue Parks
Head, Media Library
University of North Texas
P.O. Box 305190
Denton, TX 76203-5190
Phone: 940.369.7249
Fax: 940.369.7396
sueparks@library.unt.edu

>>> mthreatt@indiana.edu 2/8/2006 5:16 PM >>>
Group,

Has anyone put together a growing list of film distributors who provide
on-demand streaming, or the digital right to encode films owned by the
media center and/or library? I know you can get this information when
you register for the National Media Market, but the specifics aren't
included i.e., license agreement loans for 1, 3, 5 years, etc. I'm not
interested in Broadcast rights via closed circuit.

I'm trying to create an internal list that will include the name of the
company, and the types of digital access available, especially for
asynchronous streaming.

For example: (this is only a draft, and may not be complete
information)

Media Digital Streaming License and/Rights Distributors:

Annenberg Media
Free access (registration required)

Films Media Group
30 day free access (registration required), 1 year license
agreement, 3 year license agreement, on-
demand streaming via FMG Interface, digital right to encode copy
owned by library, digital file to be
stored on local server in MPEG1, MPEG4, Windows Media, QT formats

Feel free to contact me off-line if you wish, or I'm willing to work
with someone to create the list and have it published in a non-referred
journal.

Best,

Monique Threatt
Librarian for Media, Comm & Culture