Re: [Videolib] Illinois State University Copyright Controversy

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:32:21 EST

--part1_42.79c1ffc2.311cba85_boundary

In a message dated 2/8/06 4:57:35 PM, mbailey@carleton.edu writes:

> To summarize briefly: A student film group at Illinois State=A0
> University has received from New Yorker Films a bill for $8000 for=A0
> past VHS and DVD screenings on campus for which public performance=A0
> rights were not purchased. The film group feels that the screenings=A0
> were part of the educational activities of the University; New Yorker=A0
> begs to differ.
>=20

I agree with Jessica and New Yorker with this. It's always posed as us (the=20
poor little film society) versus the rich, greedy film distributor. We won't=
=20
get into how profitable film distributors are -- I've expressed my viewpoint=
s=20
here before on that matter.

However, when you look at it as any institution with a multi-million dollar=20
endowment (who should be spending more on the liberal and fine arts, but tha=
t's=20
besides the point) against a filmmaker who depends on his royalties to pay=20
his rent (and we have MANY more of those than we do filmmakers with houses o=
n=20
the beach), it takes on a different perspective. That also doesn't even get=20=
into=20
the fact that many of them are still paying their composers, cinematographer=
s=20
and actors from these royalties as well.

I am sure that a filmmaker is totally glad for the "free" exposure as he=20
struggles to raise money to make his next documentary.

I noticed that the ISU film society has removed all past schedules from the=20
websites, so I suspect they feel New Yorker and the other distributors might=
be=20
right. So I hope this raises the issues at other campuses with similar=20
situations.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

"Welcome to New Jersey.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Big Hair, Big Heart, Big Fun!"
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0- Amy Heller

--part1_42.79c1ffc2.311cba85_boundary

To summarize briefly:= A student film group at Illinois State=A0
University has received from New Yorker Films a bill for $8000 for=A0
past VHS and DVD screenings on campus for which public performance=A0
rights were not purchased. The film group feels that the screenings=A0
were part of the educational activities of the University; New Yorker=A0
begs to differ.

I agree with Jessica and New Yorker with this. It's always posed as us (t= he poor little film society) versus the rich, greedy film distributor. We wo= n't get into how profitable film distributors are -- I've expressed my viewp= oints here before on that matter.

However, when you look at it as any institution with a multi-million dollar=20= endowment (who should be spending more on the liberal and fine arts, but tha= t's besides the point) against a filmmaker who depends on his royalties to p= ay his rent (and we have MANY more of those than we do filmmakers with house= s on the beach), it takes on a different perspective. That also doesn't even= get into the fact that many of them are still paying their composers, cinem= atographers and actors from these royalties as well.

I am sure that a filmmaker is totally glad for the "free" exposure as he str= uggles to raise money to make his next documentary.

I noticed that the ISU film society has removed all past schedules from the=20= websites, so I suspect they feel New Yorker and the other distributors might= be right. So I hope this raises the issues at other campuses with similar s= ituations.