Re: [Videolib] anyone out there know French?

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:42:20 -0500

Hi Maureen,

The literal translation for "already heard" is "déja entendu"
"au" means "at" so it wouldn't work. Unfortunately, deja vu is really an
English expression using French words, so it's more or less meaningless in
French.

Oksana

At 01:54 PM 2/8/2006, you wrote:
>and does anyone remember the "sad fate of LPs" thread from quite a while
>ago? Well, the LPs have won a reprieve, because we're in the process of
>transferring them to CD (carefully preserving our originals, as the law
>requires). We wanted to write a little newsletter article to promote the
>project, and I wanted to call it something like "deja au", ini the sense
>of "deja vu" , something you feel you've experienced before, only in this
>case something you've heard before.
>Does anyone know if there is such a phrase, and if not, would "deja au" be
>an adequate translation?
>Thanks, from your language-challenged colleague!
>
>Maureen Tripp
>Media Librarian
>Media Services Center
>180 Tremont St. 3rd Floor
>Boston, MA 02116
>maureen_tripp@emerson.edu
>(617)824-8676

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-2424 ext.3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3437
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec