Re: [Videolib] Interlibrary loan of media items

Susan Albrecht (
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:26:15 -0500

We do lend video materials to institutions which will reciprocate with
us. We've found this to be fairly problem-free on the lending end, and a
terrific help at times on the borrowing end (of course!). The loss rate is
certainly no higher than it is for our own patrons.

One caveat: We are a very small institution -- I *am* the book and video
acquisitions "department," and I also manage the video reserves. Thus, I
have a good sense of who's ordered what and why and whether it might be
needed for a course. Our ILL person routinely asks me before deciding
whether to lend. If I know that Prof. X just ordered it for a course or
that it cost $350 or is OP, I simply say no.

This works really well for us, but would obviously be more problematic in a
larger institution. A quality booking system would be necessary there.

Susan at Wabash College

At 01:56 PM 1/25/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>This is directed at other academic media centers.
>The library where I work is considering opening up our media collection to
>inter-library loan from other colleges and universities in our ILL
>consortium. At present we only circulate to our staff, faculty and
>students for a 3 day loan period with up to 3 renewal.
>I am very curious to hear who among you do or don't ILL your media items.
>If not, why not? If you do, I'd love to hear your experiences- good, bad
>and ugly.
>Thanks for your time and advice,
>Carmine Rau
>Reference and Instruction Librarian
>Odegaard Undergraduate Library
>University of Washington Seattle, WA 98195-3080
>(206) 616-1210
>Videolib mailing list

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator