RE: [Videolib] Public Library DVD Policies

Eileen Simmons (ESimmons@ci.everett.wa.us)
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:42:53 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C61D30.89D37BDB

We are a public library that serves a population of about 96,000 from a =
main library and one branch. I order one or two copies of your typical =
feature, but if something is extremely popular I might order four. I =
tend to go for variety over quantity, and do not necessarily add more =
titles if the holds queues grow.
=20
We do allow reserves, although we didn't when I first came here almost =
eight years ago. I felt this was extremely un-user friendly, and finally =
got the policy changed. Patrons really appreciate that, for all the =
reasons they appreciate being able to put a book on hold. They know they =
will get it, and they have some sense of when. In the days when holds =
weren't permitted, patrons who hoped to watch a particular film had =
little chance of getting it since we don't buy many multiples and most =
of our new DVDs are checked out at any one time. If they were =
extraordinarily lucky, they would find what they wanted on the shelf. =
Our circulation staff was very afraid they would be swamped by media =
holds, but that has never been the case.
=20
I don't really look at reserves to determine the number of copies to =
purchase. I do buy popular titles, but put more money into things the =
video stores aren't likely to have. Our children's librarians buy j =
VHS/DVD, and they are more likely to buy larger numbers of Disney/Harry =
Potter titles.
=20
Feature films check out for one week, with a limit of 5. Nonfiction =
checks out for 2 weeks, with a limit of 5.
=20
Eileen Simmons
Everett Public Library
2702 Hoyt Ave.