Re: [Videolib] Use of Film Clips in Presentation

Gary Daniels (Gary@interruptproductions.com)
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:02:31 -0500

Here's a good guide to Best Practices in Fair Use:

http://www.documentary.org/resources/src/Fair_Use/bestpractices.pdf

And always remember the 10% rule. When copying music, only 10% or 30 seconds
(whichever is less) is considered a "fair use." In motion media, no more
than 10% or 3 minutes (whichever is less) can be copied for fair use.

In other words, you can't show a 10-15 minute clip from one of these movies
and consider it a fair use. You could show a 3 minute clip and then talk
about it for 10 or 15 minutes, describing what else happens, etc.
Other limits:

*text - up to 10% or 1000 words, whichever is less
*poem - up to 250 words, but further limited to:
-three poems or portions of poems by one poet; or
-five poems or portions of poems by different poets from an anthology

*photos and images - up to 5 works from one author; up to 10% or 15 works,
whichever is less, from a collection
*database information - up to 10% or 2500 fields or cell entries, whichever
is less

Time limit on fair use: 2 years from completion of the multimedia work

Here's a link for the source of the above info:
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/faculty.htm

-Gary C. Daniels
Native American Educational Videos
http://school.lostworlds.org