RE: [Videolib] Public Library DVD Policies

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:43:01 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C61D17.69839124

--For a typical feature film DVD release, how do you determine the
number of copies you order?
By the amount of demand I anticipate for that title, and by the amount
of money available in relation to the number of titles that need to be
purchased.
=20
--Do you take patron reserves for your DVDs?
Yes.
=20
--If you take reserves, how do you determine when additional copies are
necessary for purchase?
Only if the number of requests reaches a very high level, which I define
as about 350 or more. Or, anytime the reserves-to-copies ratio is more
than 10:1, I consider adding copies. But again, the money available is
a determining factor.
=20
--What is your loan period for DVDs?
7 days for entertainment (mostly movies and TV), 21 days for
non-entertainment (same as books).
=20
--What is the limit on checkouts of DVD?
None.
=20
Some suggestions: 1) If you go with a single loan period, make it a
week or longer. Three to four days isn't long enough to watch up to six
programs, especially if some of them are multi-part. 2) If your money
situation allows it, continue your non-reserveable collection and add
reserveable copies to it. That will give patrons newer titles to browse
because anything reserveable is going to be off the shelf for weeks or
months until the backlogged reserves are filled. 3) Again, if your
money situation and collection size permit it, consider dropping the
limit on number of checkouts. It'll boost your circulation and free up
your patrons to get what they want.
=20
=20
=20