RE: [Videolib] Eyes on the Prize

Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:28:35 -0700

Edward,

Generally there are replacement copies of Eyes on the Prize available
for sale used (though at fairly steep prices).

However, section 108 of the copyright code clearly allows libraries to
make replacement copies of materials that were in their collections (and
were legal to begin with) and were damaged, lost, stolen, are
deteriorating, or are on an obsolete format and are not available for
purchase in an unused format at a fair price.

(c) The right of reproduction under this section applies to three copies
or phonorecords of a published work duplicated solely for the purpose of
replacement of a copy or phonorecord that is damaged, deteriorating,
lost, or stolen, or if the existing format in which the work is stored
has become obsolete, if -

(1) the library or archives has, after a reasonable effort, determined
that an unused replacement cannot be obtained at a fair price; and

(2) any such copy or phonorecord that is reproduced in digital format is
not made available to the public in that format outside the premises of
the library or archives in lawful possession of such copy.

You can view the complete text here:
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108

If you read the law the same way I do (and I realize there are others on
the list that do not), this means that you can make your library a
replacement copy from another legal copy (that you could obtain through
ILL or some other means).

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University