Re: [Videolib] Use of Film Clips in Presentation

Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:18:14 -0800

--=====================_29692515==.ALT

Hey Sue!

Here's what I think:

If the presentation is in the service of a regularly scheduled
course, and if the clips are short and relatively few, I'd say fair
use. If the plan is to use this stuff semester after semester, I'd
say there might be problems. If money is charged, definitely problems.

Gary

At 02:01 PM 1/17/2006, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Instructors in our Sport Psychology Department are compiling a list of
>movies and scenes they want to use in their educational sport psychology
>presentations. They would like to use the scenes to illustrate some of
>the sport psychology topics (e.g., attaining goals, being confident)
>they discuss during their presentations. These presentations are to
>coaches, athletes, and other related personnel and tend to be at the
>high school and college level. They do some introductory presentations
>for which they do not charge, though they also do presentations for
>which they charge. Will they need to license the use of these clips, or
>does this fall under fair use for the purpose of commentary and
>criticism?
>
>Thanks for any guidance,
>
>Sue
>

>Sue Parks