RE: [Videolib] Closed Captions

Ben Achtenberg (ben@fanlight.com)
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:41:03 -0500

We have dealt with several different laboratories for DVD conversions from
video, and in at least two of these cases the labs simply didn't know that
this was possible until we convinced them to try it.

The issue is not so much the "machine" as the approach you take to get your
content onto DVD. If you are going to be "authoring" (i.e., adding menus,
defining chapter stops, etc.) the lab or editor will be capturing the video
and audio "streams" separately into the authoring program to be used, and
in that process the captioning gets dropped out, resulting in the need to
re-caption using the .scc files that John mentioned.

If, instead, all you need is a straight copy of the entire program, as is,
to DVD, this can be done via a much simpler and MUCH less expensive
process. As mentioned, some labs aren't aware of this and others, frankly,
aren't interested in providing this lower cost service.

Good luck...
Ben

At 07:05 PM 1/12/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, Susan
>
>My experience has been that the fancier the encoding machine, the more
>difficulty they have with closed captions.
>
>There are plenty of VHS duplicators for whom going from BetaSP to DVD-R
>(at least) with closed captions presents no problems at all. The
>captions shoot straight across.
>
>Once you start talking about .scc files, then you do run into large
>expenses.
>
>All the best,
> John Hoskyns-Abrahall
>
>______________________
>Bullfrog Films
>PO Box 149
>Oley, PA 19547
>Toll-Free: 800/543-3764
>Email: john@bullfrogfilms.com
>http://www.bullfrogfilms.com
>Voice: 610/779-8226
>Fax: 610/370-1978

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com