RE: [Videolib] TV Shows on DVD

Tova Aragon (tovaarag@hotmail.com)
Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:08:38 +0000

Boy do I know how you feel. For a long time I resisted buying TV series. I
would continue to buy the next season of those purchased before my time,
like Sopranos and other pay channel series.

For the last year, I have kept a list of requested series. When the
pressure was put on me from other managers and my director to seriously look
at purchasing tv, I was ready. I had over $5000 worth of requests ready to
go. I explained that by purchasing these I was opening the door to more and
more requests and I would need more in my budget. I was the lucky recipient
of $5000 from our Friends group. My director has assured me that she will
allocate as much for tv next year. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I
think they will be just as popular as all the BBC miniseries I purchase -
which are checked out with a holds list all the time.

How I chose - more than 3 patron requests; some classics not already
available in our consotium; new popular series that had numerous holds in
our consortium like Scrubs; those that aren't on free tv constantly like
Friends. I still ran out of money before I ran out of requested titles. I
also purchased items the Children's librarian suggested.

For me, it is no new Television series unless I get more money or a big
donation. Otherwise I wouldn't have the funds to buy documentaries,
independent and foreign films that are harder to find in our community and
are very popular.

Tova Aragon
Adult Services Lead Librarian
Fort Collins Public Library