RE: [Videolib] Unrated dvds

Julie Stump (stumpj@uhls.lib.ny.us)
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:55:52 -0500

According to the article from the Minneapolis Star Tirbune, Jeff Wadlow,
director of the PG13 rated horror film Cry Wolf said: "It's become more of a
marketing ploy than anything...But if you rent that unrated DVD (of Cry
wolf)and you expect to see, like, lots of exploitative gore, nudity and
swearing, you're not going to see it because I didn't shoot it." So what
are those extra minutes that have been added to the unrated version?
Julie Stump
-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Stump [mailto:stumpj@uhls.lib.ny.us]
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:52 PM
To: Julie Stump (Julie Stump)
Subject: FW: [Videolib] Unrated dvds

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:53 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Unrated dvds

Two things. Most small companies like Kino only release "unrated" versions
which has nothing to do with content but with both philosophical and
financial issues regarding rating procedures.

The "unrated" versions of films in which there are "rated" versions
Generally do add sex , violence or just footage. It is very unlikely This
version would be sent to a library unless is was specially requested So I
would not worry about being surprised by one in a collection. There are a
very few instances where such a version may represent a directors Intention
which ran into censorship issues but for the most part it is just A tacky
sales technique

> There was recently an article in our local newspaper about the fact
> that many DVD companies are releasing unrated versions of films
> instead of the theatrical rated version. I find this very disturbing.
> Marketers are expecting the curiousity factor, people looking for more
> sex, violence and language, will push people to buy the unrated
> version over the rated version. But what we are getting is not
> necessarily more sex, violence and language, just more footage. Does
> this mean that we are in some cases going to be getting an inferior
version of the film?

> Julie Stump
> Head of Technical Services
> Voorheesville Public Library